Welcome to a great ski touring area in Europe, with the opportunity to avoid the crowds. The Aigüestortes national park is a great place for ski touring but without the intense amount of visitors that you find in other ski touring areas in the Alps.
This program offers you a six days ski touring adventure in the Aigüestortes national park. It is the only national park in the Catalonian Pyrenees. The geography is considered as high mountain because much of the land is above 1000 meters, and there are some peaks over 3000 meters. The national park covers 40852 hectares and with the low number of visitors it is the perfect place for ski touring. This traversee is a hut to hut tour, just like the classic ski tours in the Alps. We combine spectacular views of lakes and snowy mountains with great food and Catalonian culture. This is ski touring the way we like it.
Flight to Barcelona and transfer to Vielha
We meet at Barcelona airport and transfer to Vielha hotel (4,5 hour by car). In the evening we have dinner at a genuine tapas bar in Vielha.
Arties village – Ventosa – Calvell hut
After breakfast, the bus picks us up at the hotel for transport to Arties. The snow conditions determine how far the bus can take us, we may start the tour in the valley or start in Arties. Either way we will go from the the Arties valley to the Restanca hut. We continue to the Agulha Crestada pass at 2475 meters, near Montarto Peak base. From the top of the pass we ski down to Ventosa and the Calvell hut at 2215 meters.
Calvell hut – Estany Llong hut
In the summer this is a hard day for trekkers because of the big boulders, but in the winter this place transforms and offers us a comfortable tour up to the Contraix pass at 2748 meters. But we start the day by going down a bit to Colieto lake, beautiful in the morning light! We descend a nice valley that narrows as we approach the pass. Yes, at times it is a bit tiring but the satisfaction is great when we reach the narrow and steep Contraix pass at 2748 meters, using our crampons and ice axes the last part.
Estany Llong hut – J.M. Blanc hut
Today is a long day with two passes, but it's not as hard as it looks on the map, because the skiing down is always very good here. After reaching the Dellui pass at 2577 meters, we ski down to the Colomina hut. From here we cross three frozen lakes, and skin up to the Saburó pass at 2667 meters and then we ski down to the J.M.Blanc hut.
J.M.Blanc – Amitges hut
We ascend to the Monestero pass at 2715 meters. From here, maybe the best down run of the tour to the Sant Maurici lake at 1990 meters. From this point we ascend again until we reach the Amitges hut at 2400 meters.
Amitges hut – Colomers hut
First we skin up to the Ratera pass at 2574 meters. The snow quality determines if we go to the Ratera top at 2863 meters, with a spectacular view of the Colomer's frozen lakes area. During the descent to Colomers hut we cross the big frozen Obago lake.
Colomer hut – Restanca hut – Viehla
After breakfast, we skin up to Llucià Peak at 2776 meters, and ski down a part of the way we came up. Then we head towards the Port de Caldes pass at 2568 meters, ski down during 20 minutes and the skin up again 150 meters to the Agulha Crestada pass at 2475 meters. From the pass it is all downhill to Restanca hut at 2010 meters, a very nice descent. From the hut the descent to the valley and the car park is easy. The bus takes us back to Vielha.
Transfer from Vielha to Barcelona.
Free time in Barcelona
Transfer from Hotel in Barcelona to airport in Barcelona
We only take 4-6 skiers/guide during these weeks. Some weeks there are two guides with independent groups working together. However, we travel independently so that the groups can ski different lines.
The following is an equipment list. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. Equipment marked with * can be provided by your guide when needed.
• Skis with AT bindings (Dynafit or Plum) that should be light but stable for the downhill skiing
• Climbing skins adapted to your skis.
• Poles, adjustable with big baskets, that can be mounted on a backpack
• Ski crampons
• Ski touring boots
• Ski backpack, 35-45 litres, with straps for skis and poles.
• Ice axe, straight classic model 40-50 cm*
• Crampons, light but durable. We do not recommend aluminium crampons*
• Avalanche transceiver*
• Harness, light with adjustable leg loops*
• Ski goggles, with orange/yellow lenses to be used at bad weather
• Sunglasses, category 3-4
• GoreTex jacket or similar.
• GoreTex pants or similar with ventilation possibilities
• Down jacket, lightweight
• 2 pairs of base layer, synthetic or wool
• 2 pairs of ski socks
• Mid layer
• Thin gloves
• Insulated gloves
• Hat and balaclava to protect your face in bad weather
• Sun hat to protect you against the sun
• Head torch with spare batteries
• Sun block
• Water bottle (1-2 liters), we do not recommend Camelback systems
• Travel sheets to sleep in at the huts
• Professional mountain guide authorized by UIGMA/IFMGA
• All transports during the week, including return to Barcelona airport
• Hotel accommodation in twin double rooms in Viehla, including breakfast before and after the week (a single room can, where possible be arranged at additional cost)
• Dinner day 1 in Viehla
• 5 nights at mountain huts including breakfast, lunch and dinner
• 1 night hotel in Barcelona with breakfast.
• Fantastic views and excellent skiing in the national park of Aigüestortes
• Personal ski touring equipment (see list above)
• Travel to/from Barcelona airport.
• Mandatory insurance to cover mountain rescue costs